Tuesday April 3 2012

Feed(s): 

TUESDAY, APRIL 3, 2012

SANTORUM HEADED TO BLAIR COUNTY TOMORROW

PENNSYLVANIA’S PRIMARY IS 3 WEEKS AWAY, BUT A REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE WILL VISIT BLAIR COUNTY TOMORROW. RICK SANTORUM’S CAMPAIGN SAYS THE FORMER PA SENATOR WILL HOST A “RALLY FOR RICK” AT THE BLAIR COUNTY COURTHOUSE IN HOLLIDAYSBURG AT 3PM. THE EVENT IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. SANTORUM TOLD C-N-N THIS WEEK THAT HE GUARANTEES A VICTORY IN HIS HOME STATE. A FRANKLIN & MARSHALL POLL SHOWED HE HAD JUST A 2-POINT LEAD OVER MITT ROMNEY IN MARCH. IN FEBRUARY, SANTORUM’S LEAD WAS 29-POINTS.

JOBLESS RATES UP & DOWN

BLAIR COUNTY’S JOBLESS RATE FELL FROM 6-POINT-6 PERCENT IN JANUARY TO 6-POINT-5 IN FEBRUARY. CAMBRIA COUNTY’S NUMBER WAS DOWN 2-TENTHS TO 8-POINT-1.THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR AND INDUSTRY SAYS BEDFORD COUNTY SAW AN IMPRESSIVE DROP…FROM 8-POINT-7 TO 8-POINT-1. CENTRE COUNTY’S JOBLESS RATE JUMPED 3-TENTHS TO STAND AT 5-POINT-5. PENNSYLVANIA’S UNEMPLOYMENT RATE FOR FEBRUARY STAYED STEADY AT 7-POINT-6 PERCENT, AND THE NATIONAL UNEMPLOYMENT RATE ALSO REMAINED UNCHANGED AT 8-POINT-3.

ALTOONA DISTRESSED?

THE STATE DEPARTMENT OF COMMUNITY AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT HOLDS A HEARING AT 6PM TODAY IN ALTOONA CITY COUNCIL CHAMBERS TO DISCUSS THE CITY’S APPLICATION TO ENTER THE DISTRESSED MUNICIPALITIES PROGRAM. STATE OFFICIALS WILL TAKE TESTIMONY FROM CITY COUNCIL AND THE PUBLIC…THEN DEPARTMENT SECRETARY ALAN WALKER WILL HAVE 30 DAYS TO DECIDE WHETHER TO ADMIT THE CITY.

STABBING VICTIM CRITICAL

ALTOONA POLICE ARE LOOKING FOR A SUSPECT AFTER A STABBING EARLY THIS MORNING ALONG THE 900 BLOCK OF LEXINGTON AVENUE. THE VICTIM WAS STABBED IN THE NECK WITH A 16 INCH BUTCHER KNIFE AND IS REPORTED TO BE IN CRITICAL CONDITION AT ALTOONA REGIONAL HEALTH SYSTEM. THE SUSPECT WAS WEARING A BLACK HOODIE AND JEANS.

SEATING 2 MURDER JURIES

A CENTRE COUNTY JURY WAS SEATED YESTERDAY FOR THE SECOND MURDER TRIAL OF ANDREW ROGERS.THE FORMER PENN STATE STUDENT WAS CONVICTED IN THE 2006 BEATING DEATH OF YOUNG CHEOL PARK IN STATE COLLEGE, BUT IN 2008, ROGERS WAS GRANTED A NEW TRIAL AFTER A JUDGE FOUND THAT FORMER DISTRICT ATTORNEY MICHAEL MADEIRA WITHHELD EVIDENCE FROM DEFENSE ATTORNEYS. ROGERS CLAIMS HE ACTED IN SELF-DEFENSE. TESTIMONY IS SET TO BEGIN MAY 29TH.

IN SOMERSET COUNTY COURT YESTERDAY, JURY SELECTION BEGAN FOR THE MURDER TRIAL FOR CALVIN MALLORY OF BROOKLYN NEW YORK WHO IS ACCUSED OF HIRING 3 MEN TO KILL BRYANT ADDERLY IN 2009.  STATE POLICE SAY MALLORY BELIEVED ADDLERY WAS SKIMMING DRUG PROFITS AND HE WAS SHOT 22 TIMES INSIDE HIS BAKERSVILLE-AREA HOME. THE 3 OTHER DEFENDANTS PLEADED GUILTY IN FEBRUARY TO 3RD DEGREE MURDER AND THEY’LL BE SENTENCED IN MAY. MALLORY’S TRIAL EXPECTED TO BEGIN MONDAY.

TEACHER’S BAIL LOWERED

FORMER JOHNSTOWN MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHER JASON LOBOI IS SCHEDULED TO STAND TRIAL IN JUNE AND YESTERDAY A JUDGE REDUCED HIS BOND FROM 200-THOUSAND DOLLARS TO 150-THOUSAND. THE 37 YEAR OLD IS CHARGED WITH SEXUALLY ABUSING A GIRL BETWEEN JANUARY OF 2009 AND APRIL OF LAST YEAR. AUTHORITIES SAY THE GIRL WAS NOT ONE OF LOBOI’S STUDENTS. UNDER TERMS OF HIS NEW BAIL, LOBOI MUST STAY OFF FACEBOOK…HE HAS TO GO BACK TO HIS MENTAL HEALTH TREATMENT…AND HE CAN’T GO TO HIS FATHER’S BUSINESS BECAUSE IT IS 2 BLOCKS FROM VICTIM’S HOME.

SERIAL FLASHER WILL GO TO TRIAL

A JURY WAS PICKED MONDAY FOR 34 YEAR OLD RYAN HO OF STATE COLLEGE WHO IS ACCUSED OF BEING A SERIAL FLASHER AND EXPOSING HIMSELF TO WOMEN IN 19 SEPARATE INCIDENTS. HO WILL STAND TRIAL STARTING MAY 29TH ON CHARGES OF BURGLARY, TRESPASSING, INDECENT ASSAULT, AND INDECENT EXPOSURE. HE WAS ARRESTED LAST MAY AFTER HE PRIED OPEN THE WINDOW OF A PATTON TOWNSHIP APARTMENT AND ASSAULTED A WOMAN IN HER BEDROOM.

WRONG BODY TAKEN TO FUNERAL

A CAMBRIA COUNTY FAMILY IS SUING THE HARRIS FUNERAL HOME AND JOHNSTOWN’S MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTER AFTER THE WRONG BODY WAS RELEASED AND TRANSPORTED FOR A FUNERAL. THE TRIBUNE DEMOCRAT REPORTS THE FAMILY OF RICHARD TKACIK SHOWED UP FOR THE VIEWING AND WERE SHOWN THE WRONG BODY IN THE CASKET, SPARKING A FRANTIC SEARCH TO FIND TKACIK’S BODY, WHICH TURNED OUT TO BE STILL AT THE HOSPITAL. NO COMMENT FROM THE HOSPITAL…AND THE FUNERAL HOME OWNER TOLD WJAC TV THAT HE WAS DEEPLY UPSET BY THE INCIDENT.