Thursday September 20 2012

Feed(s): 

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2012

SANDUSKY SCANDAL

JERRY SANDUSKY WILL BE SENTENCED OCTOBER 9TH AND NOW THE CENTRE DAILY TIMES REPORTS THAT A PENN STATE ATTORNEY HAS ASKED A PHILADELPHIA JUDGE TO DELAY PROCEEDINGS IN A CIVIL LAWSUIT FOR VICTIM NUMBER ONE UNTIL THE GRAND JURY INVESTIGATION AND TRIALS OF FORMER PENN STATE OFFICIALS GARY SCHULTZ AND TIM CURLEY HAVE BEEN RESOLVED.  THE JUDGE HAS ALREADY STAYED 2 OTHER CIVIL SUITS FILED BY ALLEGED SANDUSKY VICTIMS. MEANWHILE, THE HARRISBURG PATRIOT NEWS REPORTS THAT VICTIM ONE WILL RELEASE A TELL-ALL BOOK AS SOON AS MID TO LATE OCTOBER. THE VICTIM IS FROM CLINTON COUNTY AND ALSO PLANS TO GIVE AN INTERVIEW TO ABC.

PENN STATE’S PRESIDENT RODNEY ERICKSON HAS PLEDGED MORE TRANSPARENCY AND HE HELD ANOTHER STUDENT TOWN HALL FORUM YESTERDAY.
THE MAJORITY OF THE QUESTIONS WERE ABOUT THE SANDUSKY SCANDAL AND THE FREEH REPORT. ERICKSON REITERATED HIS POSITION THAT ACCEPTING THE NCAA’S SANCTIONS WAS THE BEST OPTION TO AVOID THE SO-CALLED DEATH PENALTY FOR THE FOOTBALL PROGRAM. HE ALSO TOLD THE CROWD THE SCHOOL WILL SUBMIT AN ACCREDITATION REPORT BY THE END OF THE MONTH, AND HE BELIEVES THE SCHOOL IS SAFE.

PENN STATE IS DEVELOPING A PROCESS FOR SETTLING LAWSUITS FILED BY JERRY SANDUSKY’S VICTIMS. UNIVERSITY PRESIDENT RODNEY ERICKSON TOLD THE ASSOCIATED PRESS THAT PENN STATE WANTS THE PROCESS TO BE FAIR TO EVERYONE AND HE PLANS TO RELEASE MORE INFORMATION SOON. PENN STATE OFFICIALS HAVE REPEATEDLY PROMISED THAT SETTLEMENTS WON’T BE PAID WITH TUITION MONEY, APPROPRIATIONS, OR PRIVATE DONATIONS.

PENN STATE PRESIDENT RODNEY ERICKSON SAYS ACTING ATHLETIC DIRECTOR DAVID JOYNER IS DOING AN EXCELLENT JOB AND WILL REMAIN IN THAT POSITION AS LONG AS HE’S PRESIDENT. ERICKSON PLANS TO STEP DOWN IN JUNE OF 2014 AND PENN STATE WILL BEGIN THE SEARCH FOR HIS SUCCESSOR IN NOVEMBER.

PENN STATE STUDENTS ARE ORGANIZING ANOTHER “BLUE OUT” FOR SATURDAY'S GAME AGAINST TEMPLE UNIVERSITY. THEY’D LIKE EVERYONE IN THE STADIUM TO WEAR BLUE, OR AT LEAST WEAR A BLUE RIBBON TO SUPPORT CHILD ABUSE AWARENESS. VOLUNTEERS INSIDE BEAVER STADIUM WILL COLLECT DONATIONS FOR THE PENNSYLVANIA COALITION AGAINST RAPE.

EVANGELIST ON TRIAL

A YOUNG GIRL TESTIFIED IN BEDFORD COUNTY COURT YESTERDAY, SAYING THE REVEREND WALTER BRADSHAW OF NORTH CAROLINA RAPED HER IN THE JANEY LYNN MOTEL IN BEDFORD TOWNSHIP BACK IN 2007 OR 8. THE 63 YEAR OLD TRAVELING EVANGELIST FACES 23 CHARGES RELATED TO CHILD RAPE. A JANITOR FROM THE ALLEGED VICTIM’S SCHOOL ALSO TOOK THE STAND AND TOLD THE JURY SHE SAW BRADSHAW KISS THE GIRL ON THE MOUTH. THE GIRL’S MOTHER PLEADED NO CONTEST TO REDUCED CHARGES AND IS IN PRISON.

HEARING FOR ACCUSED MOLESTERS

PRELIMINARY HEARINGS ARE SCHEDULED TODAY FOR TABATHA AND PATRICK PARTSCH OF CLAYSBURG. PATRICK WAS FREE ON BAIL LAST WEEK WHEN POLICE FILED ADDITIONAL CHARGES AGAINST HIM. HE’S ACCUSED OF REPEATEDLY RAPING AN 11 YEAR OLD BOY OVER SEVERAL MONTHS WHILE HIS THEN-GIRLFRIEND, TABATHA, WATCHED. THE COUPLE WAS ALREADY CHARGED WITH ABUSING SEVERAL OTHER CHILDREN AT THEIR HOME. THE LATEST VICTIM TO COME FORWARD IS NOW 12 YEARS OLD AND LIVES IN WISCONSIN. HE CLAIMS PATRICK CALLED HIM LAST MONTH AND ASKED HIM TO CHANGE HIS STORY. BOTH PARTCHS ARE NOW IN THE BLAIR COUNTY PRISON.

BUILDING WILL BE RAZED

THE OWNER OF BELLEFONTE’S HOTEL DO DE SAYS IT WILL BE TORN DOWN AFTER A SEPTEMBER 9TH FIRE THAT DISPLACED MORE THAN 2 DOZEN PEOPLE. A STRUCTUAL ENGINEER SURVEYED THE BUILDING AND BELIEVES IT’S UNLIKELY THAT ANYONE WOULD WANT TO SPEND THE MONEY TO RESTORE IT. THE GARMAN OPERA HOUSE THEATRE ALSO SUSTAINED FIRE DAMAGE TO THE TOP FLOORS, BUT THE ENGINEER SAYS IT IS STILL BEING ASSESSED TO SEE HOW STABLE IT IS AND IF IT CAN BE SAVED. THE CAUSE OF THE FIRE IS STILL UNDER INVESTIGATION.

JOHNSTOWN CRASH

3 PEOPLE WERE TAKEN TO JOHNSTOWN’S MEMORIAL MEDICAL CENTER AFTER A 3 CAR ACCIDENT ON ROUTE 219 BETWEEN MCNALLY BRIDGE AND THE SCALP AVENUE EXIT LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT. POLICE BELIEVE ALCOHOL AND HIGH SPEED WERE FACTORS. NO OTHER DETAILS HAVE BEEN RELEASED.

CHARGES AGAINST A-T-V DRIVER

ALTOONA POLICE SAY 21 YEAR OLD TYLER SETTLE OF ALTOONA IS FACING CHARGES AFTER LEAVING THE SCENE OF AN A-T-V ACCIDENT SATURDAY NIGHT. THE VEHICLE SLAMMED INTO A PARKED VEHICLE ON THE 200 BLOCK OF WILLOW AVENUE AND SETTLE’S PASSENGER, 19 YEAR OLD BRANDON FORD SUFFERED SERIOUS HEAD AND FACE INJURIES. HE REMAINS IN INTENSIVE CARE AT ALTOONA REGIONAL.

SEPARATE TRIALS IN JOHNSTOWN MURDER?

A CAMBRIA COUNTY JUDGE HOLDS A PRE-TRIAL CONFERENCE TODAY FOR MARQUIS NEAL AND HIS COUSIN ANTHONY HARVEY OF PHILADELPHIA.
PROSECUTORS WANT TO TRY THEM TOGETHER FOR THE OCTOBER SHOOTING DEATH OF J-QUAN LEWIS OUTSIDE THE OAKHURST HOMES IN JOHNSTOWN.
THE DEFENSE IS HOPING FOR SEPARATE TRIALS. POLICE SAY NEAL WAS THE GUNMAN AND HARVEY DROVE THE GETAWAY CAR. BOTH ARE IN THE COUNTY PRISON WITHOUT BOND.

WOMAN STEALS LOTTERY TICKETS

45 YEAR OLD VERNA BARR OF ALTOONA IS ACCUSED OF STEALING LOTTERY TICKETS WHILE WORKING AT THOMPSON’S PHARMACY IN EAST CHESTNUT AVENUE.
THE ALTOONA MIRROR REPORTS THAT HER WINNINGS TOTALED MORE THAN 100-THOUSAND DOLLARS…MONEY SHE USED TO HELP HER 25 YEAR OLD SON AND ALSO FIX UP HER HOUSE AND TAKE A VACATION TO MYRTLE BEACH. THE STORE LOST MORE THAN 239-THOUSAND DOLLARS BECAUSE OF THE THEFT. BARR IS FREE ON UNSECURED BAIL AND HAS WAIVED HER PRELIMINARY HEARING.

PARADE TONIGHT

THE STATE COLLEGE HIGH SCHOOL HOMECOMING PARADE BEGINS AT 6 AND THE ROUTE WILL BE CLOSED TO TRAFFIC STARTING AT 5:45. THE PARADE WILL FORM IN THE HIGH SCHOOL PARKING LOTS AND TRAVEL DOWN WESTERLY PARKWAY, SOUTH ALLEN STREET, NITTANY AVENUE, AND SOUTH FRASER STREET. AFTER THE PARADE, A PEP RALLY WILL BE HELD AT MEMORIAL FIELD. THE ADJACENT STREETS WILL BE CLOSED TO TRAFFIC DURING THE RALLY.