Friday June 15 2012

Feed(s): 

FRIDAY, JUNE 15, 2012

SANDUSKY TRIAL

3 MORE YOUNG MEN TOOK THE STAND THURSDAY TO TELL THEIR STORY OF HOW FORMER PENN STATE FOOTBALL COACH JERRY SANDUSKY MOLESTED THEM WHEN THEY WERE BOYS. ALSO YESTERDAY, LEAD INVESTIGATOR ANTHONY SASSANO TOLD THE JURY THAT AN ANONYMOUS EMAIL LED THEM TO MIKE MCQUEARY WHO CLAIMS HE SAW SANDUSKY ASSAULTING A BOY IN A CAMPUS SHOWER IN 2001.
HE ALSO SHOWED A LETTER THAT SANDUSKY ALLEGEDLY WROTE TO ONE OF HIS ACCUSERS. IT SAID – QUOTE –“JER BECAME ATTACHED TO THE BOY AND ALWAYS WILL BE. JER MAY NOT BE WORTHY, BUT HE NEEDS A BEST FRIEND.” TODAY IS A DAY OFF AND THE PROSECUTION IS EXPECTED TO WRAP UP ITS CASE MONDAY MORNING.

ALSO ON THE STAND YESTERDAY, FORMER PENN STATE POLICE INVESTIGATOR RONALD SCHREFFLER TESTIFIED THAT HE BELIEVES CHARGES SHOULD HAVE BEEN FILED BACK IN 1998 WHEN SANDUSKY ALLEGEDLY MOLESTED A BOY IN A CAMPUS SHOWER. THE DETECTIVE SAID HE EAVESDROPPED AS THE ALLEGED VICTIM’S MOTHER CONFRONTED SANDUSKY AND THE COACH SAID HE WISHED HE COULD ASK FOR FORGIVENESS AND HE KNEW HE WOULDN’T GET IT FROM HER. SANDUSKY ADMITTED TO POLICE THAT HE SHOWERED WITH BOYS. THEN-DISTRICT ATTORNEY RAY GRICAR DID NOT BELIEVE THERE WAS ENOUGH EVIDENCE TO FILE CHARGES.

PENN STATE HAS ASKED CENTRE COUNTY COURT TO THROW OUT FORMER PRESIDENT GRAHAM SPANIER’S REQUEST FOR ACCESS TO HIS OLD EMAILS. SPANIER CLAIMS HE NEEDS THEM TO PREPARE HIS TESTIMONY FOR THE FREEH COMMISSION, BUT IN A COURT FILING TOTALING MORE THAN 100 PAGES, THE UNIVERSITY SAYS IT HAS BEEN ORDERED BY THE PENNSYLVANIA ATTORNEY’S GENERAL OFFICE NOT TO RELEASE E-MAILS OR ANY OTHER INFORMATION BECAUSE THE INVESTIGATION IS CONTINUING. EARLIER THIS WEEK, NBC NEWS REPORTED THAT STATE PROSECUTORS ARE CONSIDERING NEW CHARGES AGAINST FORMER PENN STATE OFFICIALS, INCLUDING SPANIER. ACCORDING TO THAT REPORT, INTERNAL E-MAILS AND DOCUMENTS SHOW SPANIER AND OTHERS DISCUSSED HOW TO HANDLE THE 2001 ALLEGATION INVOLVING AN INCIDENT BETWEEN SANDUSKY AND A BOY IN A PENN STATE LOCKER ROOM SHOWER.

PATERNO’S WILL

A COURT ORDER ORIGINALLY SEALED JOE PATERNO’S LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT, BUT HIS FAMILY HAS NOW PETITIONED TO HAVE THE RECORD OPENED IN HOPES OF ENSURING TRANSPARENCY DUE TO THE CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING HIS DEATH IN JANUARY. THE CENTRE DAILY TIMES REPORTS THAT HIS WIFE SUE WILL INHERIT ALL OF HER LATE HUSBAND’S PROPERTY AND POSSESSIONS. THE 7 PAGE DOCUMENT WAS ORIGINALLY FILED IN 1997.  

MOLESTER GETS JAIL TIME

IN SOMERSET COUNTY COURT YESTERDAY, 62 YEAR OLD JOHN HINTON OF SOMERSET WAS SENTENCED TO 30 TO 60 YEARS IN A STATE PRISON FOR MOLESTING 3 GIRLS, AGES 4, 5, AND 8. HINTON ENTERED A GUILTY PLEA IN FEBRUARY. PROSECUTORS SAY HINTON MAY HAVE ABUSED MORE THAN 20 GIRLS OVER MORE THAN 2 DECADES. THE INVESTIGATION SHOWED HINTON MET THE CHILDREN THROUGH HIS CHURCH.

DEALER MUST FORFEIT NEARLY $350,000

JOHN HILES OF ALTOONA IS SERVING 7 TO 14 YEARS IN A STATE PRISON FOR BEING A MAJOR MARIJUANA DEALER…AND YESTERDAY A BLAIR COUNTY JUDGE RULED THAT HILES MUST FORFEIT ALMOST 350-THOUSAND DOLLARS IN CASH AND A VEHICLE. THE CASH AND MINI-VAN WERE SEIZED WHEN DRUG AGENTS RAIDED HILES’ LARK AVENUE HOME IN AUGUST 2010. THE ALTOONA MIRROR REPORTS THAT HILES WILL NOT LOSE HIS HOUSE WHERE HIS WIFE STILL LIVES. THE JUDGE RULED THAT THERE WAS NOT ENOUGH EVIDENCE TO PROVE SHE KNEW ABOUT THE DRUG OPERATION.

PENNSYLVANIA BUDGET CUTS

A CASH ASSISTANCE PROGRAM FOR THE DISABLED AND NEEDY IS IN JEOPARDY AS THE STATE BUDGET FORMS. GOVERNOR TOM CORBETT’S FEBRUARY PROPOSAL AND THE SENATE BILL PASSED LAST MONTH BOTH DID NOT INCLUDE FUNDING FOR THE PROGRAM’S CASH PORTION. THE 150-MILLION DOLLAR PROGRAM PROVIDES MONTHLY CHECKS TO MORE THAN 60-THOUSAND PENNSYLVANIANS.

RELAY FOR LIFE

THE 24 RELAY FOR LIFE STARTS AT 11AM TODAY WITH A TORCH LIGHTING AT ALTOONA’S MANSION PARK. THE EVENT WILL INCLUDE LIVE MUSIC AND A LUMINARIA CEREMONY. ABOUT 120-THOUSAND DOLLARS HAS BEEN RAISED FOR THE AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY.